Friday, November 14, 2008

Bringing youth back to Yiddishkite


How can we inspire Jewish youth to return to their roots? Whether they grew up without a Torah Education or if they did and are slipping away, how can we bring these kids closer to Torah and Hashem?

As a Baal Teshuva, I feel I know how to use myself as an example of why a Torah observant lifestyle is most beneficial in the short and long term. However, I don't believe that this would have the same positive effect on a FFB as it would on a future BT. This is a dilemma that I think Klal Yisroel has yet to overcome and that is keeping kids on the Derech. I see in communities I encounter a sad phenomenon especially with Baal Teshuvim. They are frum but their children don't seem to follow suit. Is it because as a BT we are not prepared to raise 4+ children and keep them frum? Do are inspirational reasons for why we came to Torah not ignite the souls of the 15 year old neshamas that want to dress less tznuis or don't want to make it to minyan anymore?

I'm not sure but this article focuses on something that bothers me greatly. Usually when something bothers you its because that aspect is a reflection of a part of you. This is what the BESHT says, and I have yet to have that not be the case. There is an organization that specializes in Kiruving back FFB's. Kids that went to dayschool or yeshiva and just aren't interested. I want the group to remain anonymous, because Chashve Shalom I should slander them and prevent them from their positive and holy mission of Kiruv.

What can you do to excite kids about Torah, and Yiddishkite in general when they already grew up and lost interest? The organization is throwing a Shabbaton for high school age students and of course there will be great Torah lectures and other ways to get these kids to connect, but what is the main attraction that will pull kids in and get them excited?


A Breakdancing competition with Hip hop music is the main event. Maybe not for the ones throwing it, but it will be for the ones attending. This idea really bothers me on many levels. For one prior to my return to Torah, I was very involved in the Hip Hop // Drum&Bass // Breakdance scene, which causes a level of resentment for what i feel is a waste of my life. To expose this to Jews to "get them interested in Torah" makes no sense to me. I am very much against this idea of engaging Jewish youth and making them excited about Yiddishkite by adapting Goyish music and culture and "making it Kosher". Maybe I am wrong, and this is OK, and I am just bitter because of my past experiences. I was told I am missing the bigger picture, which could be true. I just feel there are many other options to engage Jewish Youth without using Goy Culture that will pull them farther away from Torah than before.

3 comments:

Neil Harris said...

Interesting post. I hear your side, but remember:
Sh'lo lishma, bo lishma- at times doing something for the wrong reason, will turn into the right reason.

As a BT, I sympathize, but if even one kid get turned back onto Torah Judaism from such an event, it might be worth it.

If it was my kid that was at-risk, I'd try just about anything to get them plugged in again.

Long Beach Chasid said...

Update:

My friend went to the breakdance competition to scout out people to come for the Jewish Shabbaton.

B"H There was a Jewish group of kids performing.

So I guess you are right.

Sh'lo Lishma, Bo Lishma.

Skoyach.

Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica