Monday, November 17, 2008

Q&A with a Simple Jew - Torah Lishma

(courtesy of BeverlyHillsChabad.com)

A Simple Jew interviewed me for an article on his blog. You can read my response HERE on the topic of when my Torah learning is not Torah Lishma, which is Torah learning for its own sake. This type of learning is very lofty, and void of ulterior motives. Its a level I don't think I achieve often, but it will be interesting to see if people of different ideas of what Torah Lishma is, and if I have set to high of a standard for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the post on ASJ and I do believe you are really studying Torah Lishma. But I wanted to ask you a question outside of this topic. As you became a near expert in Chassidus Gur, do you know the minhag of Gerrer about the Beracho of Hannuka - leadlik ner hannuka or leadlik ner CHEL Hannuka ?

Shabbat Shalom

Long Beach Chasid said...

I am the farthest thing from an experct in Ger. I know nothing of their minhagim and takanot aside from dress, emphasis on Torah learning expecially Gemara, and what I take from the maamarim of their 2nd Rebbe the Sfas Emes. I have much to learn and hope to meet the current Rebbe and surround myself with his Chasidim when my wife and I return to Israel this summer.

I would assume based off of my understanding of European dialect that Jews in different areas pronounced things different and this would fall under that.

Kind of like how the Hungarian Jews say Elokaini or how Chabad says Yisbarech while most say Yisbarach.

I would find some Ger Chasidim by you and speak with them. Then let me know :)

Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica